কম্পিউটার সায়েন্স এন্ড ইঞ্জিনিয়ারিং
M. Jahirul Islam, PhD., PEng.
M. Jahirul Islam received his PhD and MASc in Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) from University of Windsor, ON, Canada in 2010 and MASc. in ECE from Ryerson University, Toronto, ON, Canada in 2003 respectively. He did his BSc. (Hons’) and MSc. in Electronics and Computer Science (ECS) from Shahjalal University of Science and Technology (SUST), Sylhet, Bangladesh in 1995 and 1996 respectively. Since 1997, he has been with the Computer Science and Engineering Department of SUST (Professor since 2015). Prof. Islam has authored and co-authored 14 journals and 10 conference papers in the area of image processing, computer vision, pattern recognition and document image analysis. Currently he is the Licensed Professional Engineer (PEng.- PEO) in the province of Ontario, Canada. He is also the member of IEEE and International Association of Engineers (IAENG). Prof. Islam also worked in Umm Al Qura University (UQU), Makkah, KSA and University of South Alabama, Mobile, AL, USA as an Assistant Professor. He worked as a Postdoctoral Fellow at Ryerson University, Toronto, ON, Canada in Robotics, Mechatronics and Automation Laboratory (RMAL) and St. Michael Hospital, Toronto, ON, Canada. He received many prestigious awards and scholarships that includes but not limited to Ontario Graduate Scholarships (OGS), Casino Windsor Breast Cancer Research Scholarship and three technical paper awards.
- PhD (2010) in Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Windsor, Windsor, ON, Canada
- MASc. (2003) in Electrical and Computer Engineering, Ryerson University, Toronto, ON, Canada
- MSc (1996) in Electronics and Computer Science, Shahjalal University of Science and Technology, Sylhet, Bangladesh
- BSc. (Hon's- 1995) in Electronics and Computer Science, Shahjalal University of Science and Technology, Sylhet, Bangladesh
- Signal and Image Processing, Image Segmentation
- Machine Learning and Computer Vision
- Document Image Analysis
- Pattern Recognition
- Mammogram Analysis and Breast Cancer Detection
- Natural Language Processing
- Active Safety Features in Automotive Applications
- Automotive Embedded Systems
Active Research Project
- (2016-2017): Automated Bengali license plate detection and recognition. This project is funded by the SUST Research Centre, Shahjalal University of Science and Technology, Sylhet.
Previous Research Project
- (2014-2015): An image processing method for computer assisted and image-guided interventional technologies”. It is a collaborative project between St. Michael Hospital and Ryerson University. The main goal of this project was to develop a system for robot assisted intracardiac catheter navigation for catheter-based RF ablation.
- (2007-2008): Image processing techniques for quality inspection of gelatin capsules in pharmaceutical applications. This research was funded by the Ontario Center of Excellence, NSERC and Pharmaphil Inc., Canada.
- 2009- Present Professional Engineer’s Ontario (PEO), Canada
- 2009- Present International Association of Engineers (IAENG)
- 2002- Present Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
Awards & Recognition:
- Technical Paper Award (3)
- F. Wayne and Purita C. Bristow Award
- Casino Windsor Cares/Gail Rosenblum Memorial Breast Cancer Research Scholarships
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship
- M.J. Islam, A.M. Hussein, “Frequency Domain Approach To De-Noise The CN Tower Lightning Current Derivative Signal And Its Parameters Calculations”, International Journal of Computer and Electrical Engineering, vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 339-344, 2009.
- M.J. Islam, Q.M.Jonathan Wu, M. Ahmadi and M.A. Sid-Ahmed, Neural Network Based Handwritten Digits Recognition- An Experiment And Analysis, International Journal of Computer and Electrical Engineering, vol. 1, no. 2, pp. 222-228, 2009
- M.J. Islam, Q.M. Jonathan Wu, M. Ahmadi and M.A. Sid-Ahmed, Investigating The Performance Of Nave Bayes Classifiers And K- Nearest Neighbor Classifiers, JCIT: Journal of Convergence Information Technology, Vol. 5, No. 2, pp. 133-137, 2010.
- M.J. Islam, M. Ahmadi, and M.A. Sid-Ahmed, An Efficient Automatic Mass Classification Method In Digitized Mammograms Using Artificial Neural Network, International Journal of Artificial Intelligence & Applications (IJAIA), vol. 1, no. 3, pp. 1-13, 2010.
- M.J. Islam, M. Ahmadi, and M.A. Sid-Ahmed, Optimal Parameters Selection Technique For A Neural Network Based Local Thresholding Method. Journal of Pattern Recognition Research, Vol. 5, No. 1, pp. 69- 94, 2010.
- M.J. Islam, S.M. Basalamah, M. Ahmadi, M.A. Sid-Ahmed, Computer Vision-Based Quality Inspection System of Transparent Gelatin Capsules in Pharmaceutical Applications, American Journal of Intelligent Systems, Vol. 2, No. 1, pp. 14-22, 2012.
- B. Paul, M.J. Islam, Survey over VANET Routing Protocols for Vehicle to Vehicle Communication, IOSR Journal of Computer Engineering (IOSRJCE), Vol. 7, No. 5, pp. 1-9, 2012.
- M.J. Islam, A. Mehrabi, M. Ahmadi, Texture Feature-based Automatic Breast Tissue Classification in Digitized Mammograms, American Journal of Biomedical Engineering, Vol. 3, No. 3, 2013
- M. Akter, M.J. Islam, Video to Animated Cartoon Conversion, IOSR Journal of Computer Engineering (IOSR-JCE), Vol. 16, No. 4, Ver. IV, pp. 69-75, 2014.
- S. Siddiqui, M.J. Islam, O. Shehab, Five Quantum Algorithm Using Quipper, Published in arXiv.org, June 18, 2014. (http://arxiv.org/pdf/1406.4481.pdf)
- H. Gope, P.K. Das, M.J. Islam, M.H. Seddiqui, Medical document classification from OHMUSED dataset, International Journal of Computer Science and Network (IJCSN), Vol. 3, No. 4, pp. 215-219, August, 2014.
- N. Alam, M.J. Islam, Pectoral Muscle Elimination Using K-means Clustering Approach, International Journal of Computer Vision and Signal Processing (IJCVSP), Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 11-21, 2014.
- A.N. Bikas, M.J. Islam, Cloud computing security issues: surveys and possible solutions SUST Journal of Science and Technology, Sylhet (accepted for Publication).
- A.M. JaM. Sujan, S.A. Noman, N. Alam and M.J. Islam, A Segmentation based Automated System for Brain Tumor Detection, International Journal of Computer Applications, Vol. 153, No. 10, November, 2016.rman, S. Arshad, N. Alam, M.J. Islam, An automated Benga
- M. Sujan, S.A. Noman, N. Alam and M.J. Islam, A Segmentation based Automated System for Brain Tumor Detection, International Journal of Computer Applications, Vol. 153, No. 10, November, 2016.
- M.R. Haque, S. Hossain, S. Roy, N. Alam and M.J. Islam, Line Segmentation and Orientation Algorithm for Automatic Bengali License Plate Localization and Recognition, International Journal of Computer of Computer Applications, Vol. 154, No. 9, November, 20
- Nashid Alam, M. Jahirul Islam, Enhancement of Microcalcification in Digitized Mammogram, LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing, Germany, 2016 (Book)
- M.J. Islam, Md. Rafiul Hasan, M. Zafar Iqbal, “BER measurement of optical fiber”, in proceedings of International Conference on Computer and Information Technology (ICCIT’2000), January 25-26, 2001, North South University, Dhaka, Bangladesh
- M.J. Islam, Ali M. Hussein, “De-noising CN Tower lightning current signals by modifying Its Fast Fourier transform”, in proceedings of CAGE Club Conference, 2002, August 20, 2002, University of Western Ontario, London, ON, Canada. (Best paper award).
- M.J. Islam, Ali M. Hussein, “A novel technique for de-Noising CN Tower lightning current signal by modifying its Fast Fourier transform”, in proceedings of International Signal Processing Conference (ISPC’ 2003), March 31- April 3, 2003, Dallas, Texas, USA.
- M.J. Islam, Ali M. Hussein, “Frequency analysis of CN Tower lightning current signals using Short Term Fourier Transform”, in proceedings of International Conference for Upcoming Engineers (ICUE’ 2003)”, May 1 and 2, 2003, Ryerson University, Toronto, ON, Canada. (Best paper award).
- M.J. Islam, Q.M. Jonathan Wu, M. Ahmadi and M.A. Sid-Ahmed, “Grey scale image segmentation using Minimum Error Thresholding techniques”, in 6th International Conference for Upcoming Engineers (ICUE’ 2007), May 28-29, 2007, Ryerson University, Toronto, ON, Canada, pp. 1-5 (CD Version). (Best paper award).
- M.J. Islam, M. Ahmadi and M.A. Sid-Ahmed, “Image processing techniques for quality inspection of gelatin capsules in pharmaceutical applications”, in 10th International Conference on Control, Automation, Robotics and Vision (ICARCV 2008), Hanoi, Vietnam, December 17-20, 2008.
- M.J. Islam, M. Ahmadi and M.A. Sid-Ahmed, “Computer-aided detection and classification of masses in digital mammogram using Artificial Neural Networks”, in ICSI 2010, LNCS, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2010, Vol. 6146, pp. 327-334, 2010.
- M.J. Islam, S. Basalamah, M. Ahmadi and M.A. Sid-Ahmed, “Capsule image segmentation in pharmaceutical applications using edge-based techniques”, in the proceedings of IEEE international Conference on Electro/ Information Technology IEEE EIT’2011, University of Minnesota Mankato, USA, May 15-17, 2011. (Best paper award).
- S. Sultana, M.J. Islam, “An efficient method of texture and shape based Content Based Image Retrieval”, in the proceedings of International Conference of Engineering Research, Innovation and Education (ICERIE’ 2013), Shahjalal University of Science and Technology (SUST), Sylhet, Bangladesh, Jan 11-13, 2013.
- H. Gope, M.J. Islam, “Medical document classification from OHMUSED dataset”, 19th Conference of Islamic Academy of Sciences (IAS), Dhaka, Bangladesh, May 5-6, 2013.
- Digital Image Process
- Digital Signal Processing
- Computer Graphics
- Data Structure and Algorithm
- Numerical Methods
- Signals and Systems
- Introduction to Computer Language
- Circuit Analysis and Design
- Digital Logic Design
- PhD (Current Student: 1)
- MS (Current Students: 2, Graduated: 5)